The Aero Pilates machine is one of the newest and most effective Pilates machines available on the market today. What makes it so different and unique is the Aero Pilates’ cardio rebounder.
Where most of the other Pilates machine’s benefits only include toning and resistance work, the cardio rebounder allows the Aero Pilates machine to also include an added cardio benefit (that will help you to burn more calories and lose more weight).
There is one other Pilates machine that I know of that also includes cardio work – the Malibu Pilates Chair .
In this article, I’ll look at the Aero Pilates reformer – what it is, its benefits, the Aero-Pilates-cardio connection, and the best types of Aero Pilates machines that there are, together with some handy accessories and Pilates videos/DVDs.
If you are looking to buy an Aero Pilates Machine, then I recommend you look at the following:
- Stamina AeroPilates Pro XP 556 Home Pilates Reformer with Free-Form Cardio Rebounder (click for more info)
- Stamina Anniversary Edition AeroPilates 296 Premier with Cardio Rebounder, Neck Pillow and DVDs (click for more info)
- Stamina AeroPilates Reformer with Free-Form Cardio Rebounder (click for more info)
But before we do that, let’s first look at the basic principals of a successful Pilates workout – to make sure that you do your Aero Pilates workout correctly in order to get the maximum benefit from your Pilates practice.
The 6 Very Important Basic Elements Of An Effective Pilates Workout
The following is the fundamental principals of a Pilates workout. These are the principals you should strive for in any Pilates workout, including a workout with a Pilates machine:
This is one of the most important things to get right with any exercise for that matter. Incorrect breathing shows that there is an error in your practice and that you may not get the maximum benefits from your workout.
Every move you make in Pilates should originate from your core (your hip flexors, your lower back and your abs). Keep this area intact with your Aero Pilates workout.
Pilates practice requires an intense focus and concentration on every move you make.
This principal will only come with regular practice. This involves doing precise and perfect movements.
You should conduct proper muscle control. Move without jerking your muscles and control the movement.
Flow / efficiency of movement
This principal involves that one movement should flow efficiently and smoothly into the other.
Now that we have refreshed the basic elements of effective Pilates, let’s look at how you can implement them with your Aero Pilates practice.
We will first have a look at what the Aero Pilates Machine is and then move on to its benefits. After that we will look at the best Aero Pilates machines, accessories and DVDs to enhance your Pilates workout.
What Is The Aero Pilates Machine?
The Aero Pilates machine is similar to the normal Pilates rebounder, but with one big difference. It has a cardio rebounder attached to its foot bed. This rebounder is made from the same material that trampolines are made of.
The effect of the cardio rebounder is that you get the benefits of Pilates plus the benefits of cardio in one Aero Pilates workout.
In a recent study it is also shown that a workout on the Aero Pilates cardio board is just as effective as a workout on a treadmill.
Check out the following video review:
What Are The Benefits Of The Aero Pilates With Cardio Rebounder?
The added cardio element of the machine holds in numerous health benefits including:
- Low impact workout – gentle on your joints
- Improves cardiovascular fitness
- Improves circulation
- Decreases stress and anxiety
- Speeds up weight loss
- Improves heart function and health
The overall benefits of training with the Aero Pilates machine are:
- Increased aerobic endurance
- Strengthens and lengthens muscles
- Improves flexibility, concentration and muscle control
- Reduces body fat percentage (if combined with a healthy eating plan)
What Are The Best Type(S) Of Aero Pilates Machines?
Stamina has some of the best Aero Pilates Machines. Let’s have a look at some of them:
Stamina AeroPilates 296 Premier
This Aero Pilates rebounder is the cream of the crop! It has 3 different resistance levels, a padded gliding carriage, comfortable foot and hand straps and the ropes are adjustable. Just be warned, that the machine holds a weight restriction of 300 pounds. Let’s look at its specs:
- Assemble instructions: some assembling needed
- Warranty: 5 year on frame and 90 days on parts
- Matt size: 86 x 18 inches
- Extras included: Pilates Matt, exercise wall chart, free Pilates Ring , and 2 DVD workout videos – 24 minutes cardio workout and 43 minutes Aero Pilates level 1 workout DVD.
- “I finally look forward to exercise!”
- “Definitely one of my best purchases EVER!”
Stamina Aero Pilates Pro XP 557 Home Pilates Reformer
The Stamina Aero Pilates Pro 557′s rails are 8 inches longer than normal Aero Pilates rebounders, its parts are fully adjustable (the headrest, footrest, ropes, straps, and handgrips). And it is also elevated 15 inches from the ground to allow more complex movements and also to make it more comfortable. It also has 4 different workout resistances. Its specs are:
- Assembled size: 98 x 23.5 x 15 inches
- Material: Aluminum rails and oak-finished wood
- Extras: Color exercise chart, 2 workout DVDs – Aero Pilates level 1 workout and a cardio workout.
- “I LOVE this pilates machine!”
- “This machine is great for all the pilates work…”
Stamina Aero Pilates Reformer with Free-Form Cardio Rebounder
This Aero Pilates rebounder machine is the more basic version. It can only perform about 50 exercises where the other aero Pilates machines can perform up to 100. It offers 4 different workout resistances. Let’s look at the specifications of this machine:
- Adjustable: Only the headrest
- Elevation: 10 inches off the ground
- Extras: Color workout chart and 2 workout videos.
- “This is a good sturdy quality piece of equipment…”
- “Very happy with the instructional videos and the functioning of this equipment…”
- “Truely superlative and versitile pilates machine…”
Other Stamina Aero Pilates Machines
The Stamina Aero Pilates 295 is one of the more basic version of Aero Pilates machines, but comes highly recommended and is definitely good value for money.
The Stamina Aero Pilates XP 556 is adjustable to fit any user comfortable. It comes with 2 workout DVDs, as well as a wallchart showing the common exercises.
The Stamina Aero Pilates JP 4500 also comes highly recommended. The package includes workout videos for beginner and intermediate practitioners.
What Extra Accessories/Equipment Is Available For The Aero Pilates Machine?
There are two equipment pieces available to further enhance your Aero Pilates exercise machine. These are:
Stamina Aero Pilates Stand (Stamina 55-4150 Pilates Stand for Four-Cord Reformers)
You use this stand to elevate your Aero Pilates machine from the ground. This Stand can lift the machine up to 20 inches of the ground. This makes the exercises easier to perform and also to move from one exercise to the other. If your Aero Pilates machine is not elevated, it will be a good idea to invest in a stand like this one. But this stand is only for a selected few 4 cord Pilates reformers.
Stamina Aero Pilates Pro XP 686 Cadillac Tower and Mat Accessory
This accessory can be added to the Stamina Aero Pilates machine to create a half Cadillac/half reformer combination.
What Great Aero Pilates Dvds Are There To Enhance My Workout?
Most of the Aero Pilates machines come out with a basic cardio and toning video. But they are generally very basic and give only an overview of the exercises. To further enhance your workout, you can look into buying lower and upper body exercises DVDs like the following:
Stamina Aero Pilates Upper Body Workout Series DVD
This is also a 30 minute DVD, but it focuses on the upper body and the core. Here is what others say about the DVD:
- “Marjolein Brugman is an excellent instructor. I highly recommend any and all of her DVD’s…”
- “This workout by Stamina is a short upper body. It is a little easy…”
- “Wonderful addition for your areopilates library!”
The Aero Pilates machine is one of the best there is. The added Aero Pilates cardio board ensures that you get a more efficient workout by including cardio. If you are a fan of Pilates or you want to give it a go, it may just be the machine for you.
But whether you decide to invest in an Aero Pilates machine or not, the important thing is to get in regular exercise and to follow a healthy eating plan. That way you will be lean and healthy for life.