Why the mini stepper?
The mini stepper offers a compact exercise solution, that stimulates stair stepping movements. Because it works the biggest muscles in your body (your leg and buttocks muscles), it also offers an excellent fat burning exercise , while being low impact . It helps tones the muscles in the legs and firms the buttocks.
But, what makes the mini stepper so great is its portability and size .
Let’s look at what makes the mini stepper different from the normal stepper. We’ll also look at the more popular types of mini steppers to help you choose the right one for you.
How Is A Mini Stepper Different From A Normal Stepper?
Where the normal stepper includes stepping footpads, a digital display, arm rest and an upper body to store your water bottle and sometimes also a reading rack, the mini stepper only includes the lower foot part.
Some of the mini steppers do however also offer resistance bands to exercise the upper body and some of them include arm handles to mimic the movements of an elliptical trainer.
What Types Of Mini Steppers Do You Get?
The Mini stepper plus
The mini stepper plus is either a mini stepper with handles, a mini stepper with bands or a mini stepper with resistance. Where the other mini steppers only include the foot part, this mini stepper also includes extra resistance.
Here is a list of recommended mini steppers with handles or resistance bands:
The Electronic mini stepper
The electronic mini stepper includes a digital display to help you to keep track of the time, calories burnt and other exercise measures to track your progress. The displays differ between models.
Here is a list of mini steppers with electronic displays that I recommend:
The Dual action mini stepper
A dual action mini stepper exercises your upper and lower body at the same time. It can either be achieved by including resistance (by means of resistance bands) or by added stepper arms. The mini stepper plus is also a dual action mini stepper.
The Sports mini stepper
This mini stepper is called a sports mini stepper because it can be used outdoors. Most of the times its display is also more advanced than the other steppers and also includes sports functions,like steps per minute, heart rate and total number of steps.
The lateral mini stepper
The lateral mini stepper has a pivot feature that elevates the foot peddles to be stepped at an incline, thus increasing the resistance and the effect on the lower body (especially the buttocks and the calves).
What Are Some Of The More Popular Brands/Models Of Mini Steppers?
The Phoenix 99120 Denise Austin mini stepper plus
The Phoenix 99120 Denise Austin mini stepper plus comes out with resistance bands and it is also one of the less expensive mini steppers.
Here are some of its specifications:
- Dimensions: 18.5 x 7.1 x 12 inches
- Monitor: Electronic display that shows workout time, step count, strides per minute, and calories burnt
- Extras: Includes resistance bands and has a maximum user weight of 250 pounds.
What do others say about the Denise Austin mini stepper plus?
Here are a few extracts of the Denise Austin mini stepper reviews:
- “Good low-impact workout. ” – Actual user review from Amazon.com
- “have had this stepper for several years now. And I love it.” – Actual user review from Amazon.com
- “this is a very small and won’t take up a lot of room.”- Actual user review from Amazon.com
The Phoenix 98107 Denise Austin Dual Action Mini Stepper
The Denise Austin dual action mini stepper is almost like the elliptical machine – in the way that it has similar arms as the elliptical machine. It can be used to tone the upper and lower body at the same time.
Let’s look at its specifications:
- Dimensions: 19 x 50 x 18.5 inches
- Monitor: Electronic monitor which tracks workout time, distance, step count, and calories
- Extras: dual action arms, maximum user weight of 200 pounds.
What do others say about the Denise Austin dual action mini stepper?
Here are some extracts of the Denise Austin dual action mini stepper reviews:
- “I bought this stepper 3 months ago, and it’s already broken!” – Actual user review from Amazon.com
- “have enjoyed the product. It was easy to put together and easy to use…” – Actual user review from Amazon.com
- “Overall I am pleased with my purchase because it met my expectations…” – Actual user review from Amazon.com
The Kettler mini stepper
If you want a mini stepper that resembles the stepper that is used in most gyms, the Kettler mini stepper is the one for you. It is bigger than the other mini steppers because it also includes the top part of the stepping machine.
It may be more expensive than the other mini steppers, but its sturdiness and effectiveness makes up for the price.
Here are its specs:
- Dimensions: 36 x 26 x 61 inches, 94 pounds
- Monitor: Measures time lapsed, frequency of steps, calories burnt, total steps, and pulse rate.
- Extras/other: Shipping only available to US at the moment, maximum user weight 285 pounds, and 12 different resistance levels.
The Twist mini stepper
With the Twist Mini Stepper you twist to work your abs and core while you step – making the twist mini stepper a dual action mini stepper.
Here are its specifications:
- Dimensions: 18.5”H x 8”W x 16”D
- Monitor: LCD display of the total count, time and calories burnt
What do others say about the twist mini stepper?
- “The wife just loves it. She enjoys using it while watching a movie…”- actual user review from Amazon.com
The Stamina InStride Plus Electronic Mini Stepper
This Stamina mini stepper actually operates with batteries, so you will need 2 double A or UM-3 batteries to operate it (the batteries are not included).
Here are more about it:
- Dimensions: 16.25″L x 12.125″W x 12.25″H
- Extras: Made of sturdy steel, shock resistant design.
What do others say about the stamina electronic mini stepper?
- “At first it was hard to get used to the stepper.” – Actual user review from Amazon.com
- “if you are looking for a cheap stepping machine, this one is it!” – Actual user review from Amazon.com
- “As others have said, there is an annoying little squeak that has developed in the machine…” – Actual user review from – Amazon.com
The Stamina Instride Pro Mini Stepper
This Instride Mini Stepper is just an upgraded version of the Stamina Mini Pro Instride Stepper.
It is exactly the same as the previous stepper except that it includes 2 different resistance bands to increase the resistance of the stepping action – thus providing a more intense workout.
The Nordictrack mini stepper
The NordicTrack mini stepper is a bit more expensive than the other mini steppers, but the quality and stability makes up for the price.
Here is more about it:
- Monitor: Calorie Counter and timer
- Extras: Includes resistance bands
What do others say about the NordicTrack mini stepper?
- “It is very solidly built, smooth action and has two rubber resistance cords that really add to your workout.” – actual user review from nordictrack.com
- ” used mine until it finally wore out. I loved the way that it was so easy to store, after using it.” – Actual user review from nordictrack.com
Hers MS Mini Stepper
These steppers include holding handles for support. It also includes free dumbbells to really maximize your workout.
Let’s look at it further:
- Dimensions: 33 x 14 x 47 inches; 48 pounds
- Monitor: Multi-function motivational exercise computer
- Extras: Holding rack for weights, a pair of 2 pound and 3 pound dumbbells, twisting plate, 2 year limited warranty, non-slip footpads
What do others say about the hers ms 90 mini stepper with twister plate?
- “This machine while not expensive did just what I wanted it to.”- Actual user review from Amazon.com
- “This stepper gives a good workout and has a good range of motion.” – actual user review from Amazon.com
- “I only had the stepper about 4/5 months before the cable broke…” – actual user review from Amazon.com
A mini stepper is an excellent way to firm and tone the lower body while being a low-impact and high intensity exercise. If you exercise on it regularly you will get a rear view to be proud of – just make sure to use it regularly and not let it become covered in dust!