If you love running on a treadmill, then you probably already know how wonderful the treadmill are – no scary dogs, no dependency on the weather. But if you are constantly on the road or if you travel or move house a lot, then you probably also have some problems with transporting and/ or storing the treadmill, that’s where the portable treadmill may help. But a portable treadmill is not flawless, it may also hold in some disadvantages. Let’s look at the pros and the cons of portable treadmills and then move on the most popular brands of portable treadmills. Ready to start?
Pros And Cons Of Getting A Portable Treadmill
Let’s look at the why you should say “YES” to a treadmill that is portable.
- Lightweight and movable – Unlike non-portable treadmills, the portable treadmill are lightweight and can be moved around with the help of moving wheels. This makes it great for when you are traveling.
- Foldable for easy storage – Most portable treadmills can be folded up to be stored away under a bed or in a closet. If you are short on space, this will surely be a benefit!
- Less expensive – Portable treadmills are usually less expensive than other treadmills
- Simplistic – Most portable treadmills are also more basic and simple than others.
Let’s look at the why you may say “NO” to a treadmill that is portable.
- May be unstable – The portable treadmill types are usually not as stable as the non-portable types
- Not that durable – The folding action of the portable treadmill may mean that it is not as durable as a standard treadmill.
- Quality – Because of the lower price, the portable treadmill is not as good a quality as the others (but this may vary from brand to brand)
- Function – The portable types of treadmills may not have all the functions and programs that the non-foldable ones have.
Some Of The Best Portable Treadmills That Are On The Market Today:
Now that we have looked at the different reasons for saying either YES or NO to the portable treadmill, you have probable decided whether it is the one for you. If you have said YES to the portable treadmill, then here are some great ones to check out:
The LifeSpan Fitness TR200 Fold-N-Stor Compact Treadmill
The life span portable treadmill can be folded to be stored underneath a bed, in a closet and it can even stand upright behind a door. It has built in speakers so that you can plug in your headphones to listen to some music. Here are more about it:
- Display: LCD (blue) displaying the time, distance, calories burned and more
- Dimensions: 30.5 x 51.5 x 60.5 inches
- Belt size: 17 by 48 inches
- Drive: 1.5-horsepower continuous-duty motor
- Speed: 0.5 to 8 miles per hour
- Extras: 3 speed and 3 incline programs, built-in speakers and a headphone port (for your I-Pod or MP3′s)
Here is what other users of the portable treadmill have said: (actual user reviews from Amazon.com)
“I am very happy with my purchase and would highly recommend this treadmill for those limited on space or for walkers””It is very quiet and also we are very surprised how sturdy and stable the treadmill.”
Stamina Inmotion Ii Manual Treadmill
This is a portable manual treadmill – one that you would motor yourself, so it is much less expensive than the other models (great for when you are on a budget). Here are some of its specifications:
- Display: Battery-operated monitor tracks distance, time, speed, and calories burned
- Dimensions: 46.5 x 43.5 x 26 inches
- Belt size: 42-inch
- Extras: folds up and stores easily, foam-padded front and side rails; a heavy-duty steel frame; a pair of incline positions (8 and 10 degrees); skid-resistant rubber floor protectors to maximize stability
Here are what others consumers think about the Stamina portable manual treadmill (Actual user reviews from Amazon.com)
“The price was perfect, assembly was easy, and it is a great workout.””I’ve had this treadmill for about 3-4 months now, and wow. It’s great, easy to store and move and works well.”
The Bowflex Series 7 Treadmill
The Bowflex portable treadmill has been selected as a top fitness product by a leading consumer magazine. Let look at some of its specs:
- Display: backlit LCD
- Speed range – 0.5-11 miles per hour/0.8-17.7 kilometers per hour
- Incline – 0-12% incline range
- Dimensions: 83 by 35 by 55.25 inches/211 by 89 by 140 centimeters
- Belt size: 20 inches wide by 60 inches long
- Drive: 3.0 horsepower continuous-duty motor
- Extras: 3-speed fan to cool you while you exercise, 15 programs, including two heart rate calculation, two user-defined, and a body mass index test, two water bottle holders,
It features a fold-up design which makes it portable and easy to store.
Here are what other consumers have said about the Bowflex treadmill – As per actual user reviews from Amazon.com
“It’s very sturdy and has a lot of features for a home treadmill.””it is sturdy as everyone says, but there is a good bit more noise/vibration when i’m running on an incline”
A portable treadmill can be a great addition to your fitness routine especially when you are constantly traveling or you are short on space and as it is less expensive, it won’t even cost you an arm and a leg. Just make sure to use your treadmill regularly by setting a workout schedule and by storing it in a place that you can see (if possible).